Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oh Virginia...

I think Virginia Trioli is HOT. At least as hot as Ticky Fullerton.

In fact, I'm having illicit imaginings of a threesome...

So shoot me...

I acknowledge that I need therapy... and that I'm a dirty, smelly old man...

But I digress...

Tonight I'm watching "Artscape: Virginia Trioli Presents NCP"

And I'm getting angry at a particular thread of thought rearing its ugly head in the show: That of public funding for The Yarts...

Bullshit !!!

Right wing regimes only throw public money at right wing art.

Left wing regimes only throw public money at left wing art.

I say "no public funding" for politically correct art of either persuasion.

I say "no public funding" for art at all. If you're doing "art" in order to make money, it can't possibly be art.

Now, I would advocate public funding for apolitical artistic training and education. But that's it, baby, after that, you're on your own - sink or swim based on the non-public money you can garner, if money is important to you.

Try this on: Your "art" is that which you do with no thought of financial recompense or gain.

Discuss.

10 Comments:

Blogger lemmiwinks said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 19, 2011 2:16 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Well, I was kinda hoping to elicit opinions about public funding of the arts. ;-)

October 19, 2011 9:58 PM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

Australia Council

That's the breakdown of Australia Council Grants last financial year. In addition all State Governments contribute to the arts, including funding all of Australia's major museums and art galleries as well as building the concert halls.

Local councils also contribute by erecting bronze statues of nobodies.

So: are you putting up the proposition that we should do without all of that?

October 20, 2011 9:03 AM  
Blogger lemmiwinks said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 20, 2011 10:54 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

@AndrewM: Thank the non-existent gods that I'm not Dictator of Australia.

Orchestras and Classical music would be chopped back to parity with Opera. The slack to be taken up by increased ticketing prices which the middle and upper class can afford, and sponsorships by the corporate sector (any complaints about stinginess by specific corporation will bring that corporation under the microscope of the tax department. Battlers would get concessions.

This would make 30 million available for contemporary music.

State funding would remain untouched.

Bronze statues would be put to the vote by local ratepayers since it's their rates which pay for them.

October 20, 2011 7:25 PM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

@Gerry: since you would be unelectable on that platform, can we assume it's your intention to take over by coup d'etat?

You know, until I dug up that graph I had no idea that we spent nearly twice as much on opera as dance. Or that nearly half the Australia Council grants got to orchestras and, presumably, brass bands.

October 21, 2011 8:51 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

@AnderwM: You are quite right in saying I would be utterly unelectable. I also do not have the required number (zero is not a number) of high-ranking cronies required to stage a successful coup.
Ergo, Australia can sigh a sigh of relief. :-)

However, the idea of starting a new blog titled Dictator Of The World has been rattling around in my vacuum chamber for a while now.

The idea of the blog would be that I continue the rants I've been doing, but with the added feature of promulgating the radical "solutions" I would enact if I were dictator of the world.

October 22, 2011 8:01 AM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

Do it, Gerry, do it. Might keep you so busy you won't have time to ogle ABC TV journalists :-)

Can we start with some pruning (a.k.a. genocide)? After all, there are 7 billion of us now, which any fool can see is far too many.

In fact, in planetary terms we're an infection which desperately needs to be brought under control.

October 22, 2011 8:18 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

@AndrewM: I can't do it. My "solutions" would not work. This planet is doomed. No solutions will work. In desperation, people will be seduced by extremist solutions and these will only make things worse.

Talking Heads nailed it with "Road To Nowhere."

October 25, 2011 10:29 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

It was a bloke called Arthur Funding who was first to coin that phrase 'For the sake of art.

November 05, 2011 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========