Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Friday, June 15, 2012

Like Paradise

On the ABC news last night, an Aussie soldier being interviewed about the conditions on Kandahar Air Base in Afghanistan, uttered this gem:

"It's like paradise really.  We've got KFC, and F-18's flying overhead."

Tragically, I could not detect even a hint of irony when he said that.  The guy appeared to mean it, 100%.

Is that the level of intellect we're now recruiting into our army?  Then again, that's probably the level of dumbness you need in order to convince them that the Afghanistan war is:-

[1]   Necessary.
[2]   In Australia's best interests.
[3]   Good for the Afghan people.

I was equally dumb when I believed the exact same crap fed to me about the Vietnam war.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

4 Comments:

Blogger AndrewM said...

" They take the white trash first, round here anyways. " And you don't use intellectuals as cannon fodder because they're too likely to run away.

Which makes you ending up in the army difficult to explain.

June 23, 2012 11:57 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I ended up in the Army because I believed the Menzies-propelled bullshit I was hit with in school and and in the media. It never even occurred to me that we had been brainwashed. I thought lefties were brainwashed. I was a right wing nincompoop. I was no intellectual.

June 23, 2012 2:17 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Oh mate. I have imprinted on my memory an evening at my folks' place when a former school 'friend' - kind of, long story - turned up, having scraped into his long-held objective, a place in the RAAF.

My old man was ex-RAAF, having served in the Western Desert and Italy. His view on war was pretty much yours.

Anyway he asked this cove why he'd joined the airforce - this was about 1970 - and received the response, "I want to kill gooks."

The evening ended shortly after.

July 12, 2012 9:47 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Thanks for sharing that, Phil. Says it all really. I despair for Western Civilisation (sic) sometimes. :-(

On the other hand, I need to reiterate that I was of similar mindset when I joined the army in 1967. I was very clear back then that I joined in order to "kill communists".

I thought, back then that, I had excellent reasons for my mindset. Funny how those reasons crumbled into nothingness when I gained a bit more wisdom... :-(

July 13, 2012 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========