Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What Motivates Bloggers?

What is a blogger doing when s/he enables the comments facility on their blog?

I think such bloggers fall into one of the following categories:

[1] The Approval Seeker: "I will only allow those comments which agree with or praise my brilliantly intelligent and beautiful posts. My blog is a tool for my journey through life which I have decided is a popularity contest in which I must look good at all costs.  I like Facebook and Twitter."

[2] The Forum Moderator: "I will publish any reasonable, on-topic comment, whether it agrees with me or not. I wish to promote debate, not stifle it. Who knows, I may even learn something."

[3] The Desperado: "I will publish any comment, no matter how stupid, off-topic, vapid, or irrelevant. I am mesmerised by the comment count. The more comments my blog gets, the better my blog must be. I like Facebook and Twitter."

Feel free to submit more categories.

7 Comments:

Blogger AndrewM said...

[4] The Lame Blogger: "I don't know how to disable comments."

[5] The Cheat: "I will only publish my own comments via a pseudonym. I'm not interested in free speech; I'm blogging with an agenda."

October 24, 2012 9:18 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

@AndrewM: "The Cheat" - are there really such blogs out there? I'd venture to say that such a blogger has lost the plot and their blog is doomed to oblivion.

Mind you, I'm pretty convinced that I too have lost the plot and that this blog too is doomed to oblivion. In fact, I was thinking of shutting it down again.

Other than howling at the moon, and leaving an electronic echo of my demented opinions, I see no point to this blog any longer.

Sure I've attracted a huge following of maybe a dozen regular readers, a few of which might leave comments now and then, and a steady stream of Google-gawkers, but so what?

I know... it's just depression, and once my egomanic self-delusion kicks in again, I'll be as right as rain, totally convinced that this blog matters, and that Martin Luther King Jr and Malalai Joya should be heeded. Yeah, right... or maybe their comments don't apply to me.

WHAT IS THE F#CKING POINT ?!?!?!

October 25, 2012 6:52 AM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

Good grief, has someone told you to stop drinking or something? What is the purpose of any blog? The purpose may be to provide your take on the issues that engage you, perhaps in the hope that others of like or different mind start a conversation. Who cares if it is ephemeral.

My first blog was started as a repository for my motorcycle photos, but when I discovered that no-one except me was interested, I stopped blogging. I started again to provide a long answer to one of your provocative questions, and now I find my self blogging about beer, which is perhaps a bit self-indulgent.

Perhaps you should take a vacation from blogging for a few months, and build up a portfolio of issues that make your blood boil.

October 25, 2012 9:15 AM  
Blogger Vest said...

"How odd". Twas only on awakening this sunny morn when my mind turned to the futility of blogging and it's objectives, what drives people to waste their precious god ? given time trying to get through the thick skulls of others in regard to their opinion of what is supposedly immovably correct.
Most of my callers are relatives or friends who do not have an account and like you I have a few bloggers call and comment here but only if their noddle is adjusted to the topic.
However, I shall not plonk myself into either of your three categorys, Mayebe a bit of each, just a tiny bit. HAND.

October 28, 2012 8:29 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

@AndrewM: I'm just riding the depression roller coaster... again... still... whatever...

October 28, 2012 9:51 AM  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

plenty of blogs I have seen, get no comments at all, and continue to write and publish posts.
I like to think I am in category 2, but it is hypothetical at the moment because I cannot get AOD to even load, and Copperwitch says it won't let her comment. drat - her comments are always worth reading too. USA political blogger old ladies Margaret And Helen blog (a wordpress) gets hundreds of comments and justifiably too.

wishing you an even keel through the December social turbulence X X

December 09, 2012 6:21 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Your blog shut me out as well. As a result, I developed an inferiority complex and decided that you didn't love me anymore, and so I spat my blogger's dummy. ;-)

Thank you for your kind wishes, H, and, as they say these days, "right back atcha, chickiebabe !!!" :-))))

December 09, 2012 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========